How to be successful and centred during lockdown
On my last blog, I spoke about ignoring the ‘should’ that the media are telling us. We ‘should’ feel this, you ‘should’ be doing that. I don’t want to be part of the ‘noise’ that makes you feel bad, or pressured or overwhelmed.
What I do want to do is share with you the 7 things which I practice in life that help me stay centred and successful.
I would love you to take a few moments to read on and think about some of these practices. Consider if it’s a thing that you can get onboard with, or feel free to think ‘nah, that’s not for me!’ If it doesn’t resonate with you, or you try it a couple of times and it’s not working move on my lovely.
The main thing I want you to take from this is lockdown is a great opportunity to go within. To get quiet and get in tune with you. If you’re like me and you’re a doer, if you hate wasting time and will listen to an audio book when you’re cooking or have your phone next to you while you’re playing with kids. If your mindset as an entrepreneur is that you always need to be nurturing your brain, learning and developing, because you feel you ‘should’ (that word again) I welcome you to explore and reflect on this.
“Because I promise you, my darling, if you’re not going within and looking after yourself, you’ll never be able to embrace all the things you want to learn with belief, confidence and clarity. And that’s the key to success.”
So, here we go. This is how I stay successful and centred. Feel what works for you, and what doesn’t. And also feel free to hit me up on Inst to chat more about any of these things!
- Dance – Dance like nobody is watching, because they probably aren’t! Jumping around like a loon for a few minutes with the kids WILL boost your endorphins, re-energise you and reset your mood. I often have a solo kitchen rave and invite you to try this too.
- Get outside – And really be aware of what you can see and hear. I love that the birds have replaced the hum of the motorway on my daily walk. It’s just beautiful. Stretch, feel grateful, soak up all that warmth and sunshine. Get outside as much as you possibly can.
- Salt baths – Ahh, just the thought of a warm, deep bath with my Epsom salts and some ylang ylang essential oil makes my shoulders go down! It allows you to switch off, relax and feel pampered. And if a bath isn’t your thing, have a long shower with a beautiful salt scrub. Or put some pep in your step throughout the day with a spritz of peppermint oil.
- Journaling – If you’re waking in the morning and your brain is going straight to worry, spend 5 minutes allowing your brain to ‘feel and deal’ with everything that’s filling your head. Get a notebook and let your feelings flow. Your brain will often come up with an answer. And if it’s not an answer you need, all of that muddle is now out of your head and on the page. It’s so simple, but so effective. Please give this one a go.
- Breathwork – When I’m feeling anxious, even when I’m not conscious of it, my breath will get fast and shallow and my chest will feel tight. And I will suddenly take a sharp inhale of breath. That’s my body telling me it needs some oxygen! So I’ll take a long deep breath and exhale really slowly. I’ll do this a couple of times and boy what a difference. Again, it’s not rocket science, but it’s about listening to what your body needs. Something we don’t always do when we’re go, go, go, do, do, do!
- Yoga – I’m sitting down A LOT at the moment! And I find that doing some yoga allows my body to move and flow, and the stretch relieves so much tension. It’s a beautiful addition to your day, even if it’s just 5 minutes in the morning. Even better if you have a garden and can go outside and do it. My favourite is Yoga by Adrienne. However thanks to the power of YouTube you can find a teacher to suit you!
- Reiki – I saved this one to last as it’s probably the one that most of you will skip past and ignore! But honestly, it’s the one thing I cannot recommend highly enough. Reiki is energy healing and it’s a non-touch therapy. And the great thing about Reiki is you can do it virtually. Reiki is an absolute essential practice for me to maintain my health and wellbeing and I love, love, love Sam at Zen Den. Google Reiki, ask me anything, speak to Sam. Honestly, this is life-changing stuff.
And there you have it. Seven ways I stay successful and centred during lockdown and pretty much always to be fair! If you’d like to give just one of these a go and let me know how it felt, hit me up with a DM on Instagram, I’d love to chat about your experience.
And if you’d like to join the Focused & Fearless Community where we practice Yoga Nidra (breathwork) and EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique), as well as all the practical stuff we need to become successful entrepreneurs – you can join now! If you find we’re full up, please, please join the waiting list. We’d love you to be part of our group.
Stay safe guys and when you can’t go out…go in!